Some of these things are coincidences, some not:
- The Bad Plus premeired their arrangement of Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring at Duke University on March 26, 2011.
- I happened to be at Duke University that day because the day before I presented “Torture” at the Economics Department.
- Atila Abdulkadiroglu and Bahar Leventoglu are my two favorite people in the whole world.
- After the show we met the band at a bar and had many drinks and fine conversation.
- Columbia B-School economist Maria Guadalupe was also there.
- Along with Philip Sadowski that brought the total number of economists enjoying free drinks on The Bad Plus to five.
- Maria’s sister is Cristina Guadalupe who collaborated on the visual arts aspect of the performance.
- Along with Philip’s wife that brought the total number of Spanish visual artists to two.
- Cristina is also married to the bass player Reid Anderson.
- And that is partly because Columbia B-school economist Bocachan Celen brought Maria to a Bad Plus performance and somehow this led to Reid meeting Cristina.
- Ethan Iverson does not want a MacArthur Fellowship.
- You can hear a recording of that night’s performance of The Rite of Spring here.
If I had to describe my feeling about the performance that night then I would probably procrastinate by doing something else because that’s how I tend to respond when I have to do something. If I didn’t have to then I would say that it was a night I will never forget.